PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Alabama - Chambers County Historic Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Alabama

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs.  Click here for more Alabama Signs

 

Chambers County Historic Marker

 

Location of sign - Court Square, Lafayette, Alabama

 

Photo taken- March 2007

 

Chambers County Historic Marker

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

Chambers County


Chambers County, created December 18, 1832 from Creek Indian cession.  Named for Dr. Henry C. Chambers of Madison 

County, member of Constitutional Convention 1819, legislature of 1820, elected U.S. senator 1825 but died enroute to 

Washington.

 

County government organized 1833 by Judge James Thompson of Jefferson County.  First officers were: Nathaniel Greer, Sheriff;

William House, Clk. Cir. Ct.; Joseph James Williams, Clk. Co. Ct.; Booker Lawson, John Wood, William Fannin, John A. Hurst,

Commissioners of Roads and Revenue.  Permanent court site selected by Commissioners Thomas C. Russell, James Taylor and 

Capt. Baxter Taylor. A log courthouse was built here 1833, replaced by the brick structure 1837 and used until present courthouse 

erected 1899.

 

LaFayette, county seat, was formerly known as Chambersville and Chambers C. H. Courthouse.

 

Alabama Historical Association 1972

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Alabama here and get an Alabama Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links