PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Alabama - Coffee County Historic Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Alabama

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs.  Click here for more Alabama Signs

 

Coffee County Historic Marker

 

Location of sign - 230 Court Street, Elba, Alabama

 

Photo taken- January 2006

 

Coffee County Historic Marker

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

Historic Court Square


The first Coffee County Courthouse was at Wellborn and burned in 1851.  This site given by John B. Simmons when Elba was 

selected the county seat polling 58 more votes than Indigo Head (Clintonville) in a county election on October 5, 1852.  The first 

building erected on this site was a two story frame structure burned by Ward's Ralders, September 3, 1863.  A new courthouse 

was completed in 1867.  This building served Coffee County until 1881 and was sold at auction.  A third building completed in 

1882 was enlarged in 1899.  Failing to meet the needs of Coffee County, It was replaced by the present courthouse in 1903.  

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Alabama here and get an Alabama Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links