PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Alabama - Pickens County Historic Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Alabama

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs.  Click here for more Alabama Signs

 

Pickens County Historic Marker

 

Location of sign - Junction of Highway 17 and Highway 86, Carrollton, Alabama

 

Photo taken- December 2006

 

Pickens County Historic Marker

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

Pickens County Courthouse

 

Erected 1877-78

 

Pickens County, named for General Andrew Pickens of South Carolina, was established December 19, 1820.  First County Site 

was Pickensville.  On March 5, 1830, the government awarded 80 acres of land at Carrollton for the County Site. The first 

courthouse was erected at Carrollton was burned on April 5, 1865, by troops of Union General John T. Croxton.  A freedman,

Henry Wells, was accused of burning the second on November 16, 1876.  He was arrested in January, 1878, and held in the garret 

of this building.  Legend holds that as Wells peered out of the North window at a mob gathering below, lightning struck nearby, 

indelibly etching his image on the pane.

 

Alabama Historical Association 

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Alabama here and get an Alabama Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links