PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Alabama - Russell County Historic Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Alabama

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs.  Click here for more Alabama Signs

 

Russell County Historic Marker

 

Location of sign - 501 14th Street, Phenix City, Alabama

 

Photo taken- January 2006

 

Russell County Historic Marker

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

Old Russell County Courthouse 

 

During the Federal occupation of the former Confederate States of America, the Alabama Legislature created Lee County primarily

 from the northern half of Russell County in 1866 and ordered the selection of the county seat "more centrally located." Government

in Russell County was practically non-existent at the time; few records were kept and taxes levied only for favored political 

purposes.  An election was called; Seale won.  Simeon O'Neal and Cicero McBride selected this commanding site, John Lewis 

was architect.

 

See Other Side

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Alabama here and get an Alabama Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links