to Point of Interest Road
collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click
here for more Alabama Signs
of sign - 714 Greensboro Avenue, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
taken- October 2006
courtesy of Jimmy Wayne
the construction of a railroad through the country hamlet of
Youngsville, Griffin Young in 1860 hired W. H. Whitney to
a portion of his property and lay it off in forty- eight town
lots. In the plan two acres were reserved for use as a
Delayed by the Civil War, the railroad was finally completed to the
newly named Alexander City in 1874, and the business
developed around and to the north of the public square.
1877, on the south side of the square, the members of the First
Baptist Church erected their first house of worship.
1889, during the term of Mayor Buford L. Dean, a courthouse- city
hall was erected on the site. The original building was erected in
1903 and a third in 1939.
Historical Association 1999
Please help us
out by submitting
can find more information about the state of Alabama here and
get an Alabama