PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - California - Placerville Historic Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - California

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs.  Click here for more California Signs

 

Placerville Historic Marker

 

Location of sign - Intersection of Main Street and Bradford Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.

 

Photo taken October 2008

 

Placerville Historic Marker

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

Originally Known as "Hangtown"  Incorporated May 13, 1854

 

Established on banks of “Hangtown” Creek as rich mining camp in spring of 1848. Millions in gold were taken from its ravines and 

hills. Supply center for surrounding mining camps and transportation terminus for famous Comstock Lode. John M. Studebaker, 

Mark Hopkins, Leland Stanford, Phillip Armour, and Edwin Markham were among well-known men who contributed to 

Placerville’s early history. Also, “Snowshoe” John A. Thompson who carried from 60 to 80 pounds of mail on skies from 

Placerville over the Sierra to Carson Valley during winter months.

 

Historical Landmark No. 475

 

Tablet furnished by California Centennials Commission Base by James W. Marshall Chapter No. 49 E Clampus Vitus

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of California here and get an California Homepage here

 

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright © 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links