PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Connecticut - New Hartford Historical Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Connecticut

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click here for more Connecticut Signs

 

New Hartford Historical Marker

 

Location of sign - Located in the Pine Meadow Historic District of New Hartford

 

Photo taken -  October 2006

 

New Hartford Historical Marker, Connecticut

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

New Hartford

 

In 1732 the Connecticut General Assembly gave Hartford and Windsor permission to establish seven towns in the colony's 

Western Lands. New Hartford was given to 182 Hartford taxpayers who became the new town's proprietors. They organized and 

hired surveyors to lay out suitable home lots and highways. Settlement began in 1734 on Town Hill and West Hill.'

 

While farming was the main occupation, grist and saw mills soon thrived on the Windsor (now Farmington) and Nepash Rivers.

In the early 1800's economic interests shifted from agricultural to industrial and population centers moved from the hilltops to the

major river valleys.  

 

Major industries sprang up in New Hartford Centre, Bakersville, Satan's Kingdom, Kelloggsville ( Pine Meadow) and North 

Village (now New Hartford Center)

 

(continued on other side)

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Connecticut here and here a Connecticut Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links