PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Florida - Old Polk County Courthouse Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Florida

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click here for more Florida Signs

 

Old Polk County Courthouse Marker

 

Location of sign - 100 East Main Street, Bartow, Florida

 

Photo taken- December 2008

 

Old Polk County Courthouse Marker

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

Old Polk County Courthouse

 

Polk County was established February 8, 1861 formed from eastern Hillsborough County and western Brevard County and 

comprised one of two counties created after the state's secession from the union. Polk County was named after James Knox Polk 

the eleventh president of the United States. Polk served from 1845 to 1849, and was the first president to hold office after Florida 

achieved statehood. The turbulent 1860's saw Polk's seat of government changed several times. Located first at Mud Lake, the 

county seat soon moved to Jefferson, a surveyed town site within the present day limits of Bartow. Court and County records were 

maintained in the home of the county clerk the Reverend Jeremiah Hayman at Six Mile Creek. In 1867 cattleman Jacob Summerlin 

donated 120 acres of land at Bartow for a town site and seat of county government. Several courthouses have existed at this site, 

built in 1867, 1884 and 1909.

 

A Florida Heritage Site

 

Sponsored by the Polk County Historical Commission and the Florida Department of State

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Florida here and a Florida Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links