PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Florida - Tovar House Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Florida

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click here for more Florida Signs

 

Tovar House

 

Location of sign -  St. Francis Street in St. Augustine Florida.

 

Photo taken- December 2008

 

Tovar House Marker

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

Tovar House

 

The infantryman Jose Tovar lived on this corner in 1763. The original site and size of his house remained unchanged during the 

British period, when John Johnson, a Scottish merchant, lived here. After the Spanish returned in 1784, Jose Coruna, a Canary 

Islander with his family, and Tomas Caraballo, and assistant surgeon, occupied the house. Geronimo Alvarez, who lived next door 

in the Gonzaliz-Alvarez House, purchased the property in 1791. It remained in his family until 1871. A later occupant was Civil 

War General Martin D. Hardin, USA. The Tovar House has been owned by the St. Augustine Historical Society since 1918.

 

Sponsored by The St. Johns County Historical Commission In Cooperation With the Department of State

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Florida here and a Florida Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links