PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Indiana - Rome Courthouse Historical Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Indiana

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click here for more Indiana Signs

 

Rome Courthouse Historical Marker

 

Location of sign - located in Rome off Indiana 66, about five miles south of Derby.

 

Photo taken -  August 2007

 

Rome Courthouse Historical Marker, Indiana

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:


Perry County Indiana Heritage Project

 

c. 1819

 

In 1819, the Perry County Seat was moved to centrally located Rome, a prominent river port at the time.  This two-story brick

building, echoing the design of the first Indiana Capitol building at Corydon, was built in the town's central square to house the

county court house.  By 1859 Perry County's boundaries had changed and the county seat was then moved to Cannelton.  The 

building has since housed a variety of churches, a private school, and the public school until 1966.  As of 2004 it was serving as

the Rome Community Center.

 

By the Perry County CVB 2005 

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Indiana here and get an Indiana Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links