to Point of Interest Road
collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click
here for more Iowa Signs
County Historic Marker
of sign - Located on US Hwy 34 just east of Corning, Iowa. Contrary
to the text in the marker, there are no remaining buildings from the
taken September 2009
courtesy of Jimmy Wayne
Formed in France by Etienne Cabet, this group comprised of many
talented and well~educated person. All possessions surrendered to a
common fund, all worked for a common good.
Landed in New Orleans in 1848, all applied for citizenship, same
year. Settled near Dallas, Texas, where many died of fever, the
others returned to New Orleans. Later the same year they moved to
Nalvoc, Ill. By 1854, they owned 1,500 acres of land.
In 1860, 235 of this group bought 9 sections of land in Adams
County, Iowa, four miles East of Coming. Buildings were placed in a
parallelogram around a central dining and recreation hall. The
school house now Prescott No. 8, still standing.
Colony dissolved in 1895. Cemetery and three buildings privately
owned, are 1/4 mile North of this marker.
Much of the 2,000 volume library is in the University of Omaha.
Please help us
out by submitting
can find more information about the state of Iowa here and
get an Iowa Homepage here