PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Missouri - Bollinger Mill Historical Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Missouri

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs.  Click here for more Missouri Signs

 

Bollinger Mill Historical Marker

 

Location of sign - 113 Bollinger Mill Road, Burfordville, Missouri

 

Photo taken April 2008

 

Bollinger Mill Historical Marker

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

Bollinger Mill


Maj. George Frederick Bollinger built the first mill here in 1800, on a 640-acre grant from Louis Lorimier, Spanish Commandant

of Cape Girardeau District of Upper Louisiana.  A German Swiss from North Carolina, Bollinger visited the area 1796, and 

returned with 20 families.  His mill became the largest and best in the district.

 

The mill, damaged in the Civil War, later rebuilt, operated until 1950, and now is owned by the Cape Girardeau County Historical

Society.  Bollinger, an outstanding pioneer, militia major in War of 1812, was a noted legislator in Territory, and later, State of

Missouri.

 

(see other side)


Erected by Cape Girardeau Historical Society

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo

 

You can find more information about the state of Missouri here and get a Missouri Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links