to Point of Interest Road
collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click
here for more Missouri Signs
of sign - Off Missouri Highway 25 in Charleston, Missouri
taken April 2008
courtesy of Jimmy Wayne
411 square miles of Missouri's great alluvial plain, this county,
organized in 1845, is a high producer of cotton, grain,
soybeans. The Mississippi (Algonquin Indian for Great Water),
flowing along some 70 miles of the county's eastern
separates it from Ill. and Ky. A boundary dispute over Wolf
Island was settled, 1871 in Kentucky's favor by U.S.
Charleston, the county seat, known today as "Cotton
Capital" and shoe manufacturing center, was first called
John Mathews, settler on a Spanish land grant there, 1801.
John Rodney laid out the town, named for Chas. Moore, 1837,
land of W.P. Bernard, Joseph Moore, and Thankful Randol.
settlement was Birds Point across Cairo, Ill., where a 1-mile
bridge, built 1929 crosses the river. John Johnson came there,
and Abraham Bird (later one of the founders of Hannibal) had a
trading post and river landing, 1805. Settled by Ky. and
pioneers, the county lies in the 1808 Osage Indian land
cession. 350 prehistoric mounds remain. New
of 1811-12 violently affected the county.
(see other side)
Erected by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway
Please help us
out by submitting
can find more information about the state of Missouri here and
get a Missouri