PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Nevada - Jacobsville Historic Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Nevada

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs.  Click here for more Nevada Signs

 

Jacobsville Historic Marker

 

Location of sign -  U.S. Highway 50, six miles west of Austin, Nevada..

 

Photo taken October 2008

 

Jacobsville Historic Marker in Nevada

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

Jacobsville

 

Site of the town of Jacobsville is one-half mile north. Founded on the banks of the Reese River in 1859 by George Washington 

Jacobs, who was the first sheriff of Lander County, farmer and businessman. It was the overland stage and mail station and became 

a Pony Express stop in 1860. In the early 60's it had a population of about 400 people and boasted of the first telegraph relay 

station, a post office, court house, three stores and two hotels.

 

It was the first county seat of Lander County, comprising practically all the northeastern Nevada. The county seat was moved to the

more populated town of Austin the same year it was established in Jacobsville. The only remnants are a few stones used in the 

foundations. The Reese River, just west of here, was discovered by the exploring party of John Reese in 1854.

 

Nevada Historical Marker No. 66

 

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Nevada here and get an Nevada Homepage here

 

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links