to Point of Interest Road
collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click
here for more Nevada Signs
of sign - Junction of State Route 376 and State Route 377.
taken October 2008
courtesy of Jimmy Wayne
Manhattan "The Pine Tree Camp"
A Manhattan Mining
District to the northeast was first organized in 1867, and some
tunnel mining was done. The place name
persisted in local use
and was adopted in 1905 when John Humphrey found gold at the foot of
"April Fool Hill," near the old stage
route. A typical boom
followed. A post office was started late in 1905, and the camp soon
had telegraph, telephone, utilities and
businesses. Transport was
to Tonopah and the railroad at Sodaville.
The 1906 San Francisco
earthquake stopped mining investment. As a result, most of the
productive work here was by lessees. The
gold strikes were in ore
and placer, and by 1909 there were 13 mines and 16 placers. Some of
the operations were the Big Four,
Litigation Hill Merger,
Stray Dog, September Fraction and White Caps.
started in 1909. In 1938, dredging began, continuing 13 years. Over
$10,000,000 was produced
was a good camp."
Nevada Historical Marker
Please help us
out by submitting
can find more information about the state of Nevada here and
get an Nevada Homepage here