PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Ohio - 1829 Courthouse Historical Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Ohio

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click here for more Ohio Signs

 

1829 Courthouse Historical Marker

 

Location of sign - 109 Public Square Somerset, Ohio

 

Photo taken -  September 2007

 

1829 Courthouse Courthouse Historical Marker, Ohio

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

1829 Courthouse 

 

Commenced in 1828, this building was Perry County's first true courthouse. The sandstone jail was completed in 1848 and a 

common roof connected both structures. Old '29 commands a largely intact agrarian public square common during the Federal 

period. The edifice is the oldest continuously in service public building in the Old Northwest Territory (1787). The Federal style, 

characterized by symmetry, grace, and simple ornamentation, was common throughout the Old Northwest and the upper Midwest 

during the first generations of public building erection. It has been called a jewel and the finest piece of Federal Heartland 

Architecture extant. The County Seat was moved from Somerset in 1857 and since then Old '29 has housed village offices.

 

2002 Village of Somerset, The Ohio Historical Society 2002 1-64

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Ohio here and get a Ohio Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links