PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Ohio - Meigs County Courthouse Historical Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Ohio

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click here for more Ohio Signs

 

Meigs County Courthouse Historical Marker

 

Location of sign - Second Street and Mulberry Street, Pomeroy, Ohio

 

Photo taken -  September 2007

 

Meigs County Courthouse Historical Marker, Ohio

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

Meigs County Courthouse 

 

Meigs County was formed in 1819 from parts of Washington, Athens, and Gallia counties, with its first county seat at Middleport. 

The county seat moved to Chester in 1823 and to Pomeroy in 1841. Obtaining the Scioto County Courthouse plans for $15, the

commissioners built the new courthouse as a twin to the Portsmouth structure at a cost of $5,200. Now surrounded by later 

additions, it was completed in 1848. The Greek Revival courthouse was extensively remodeled in 1877 by adding the flanking 

wings, spiral stairways, columns, and a two-story portico capped with a bracketed cornice in the Italianate style. The street level 

was lowered and the basement level excavated to provide three full stories. Each floor is accessible by a ground level entrance.

 

The Meigs County Historical Society, Meigs County Commissioners, Ohio Travel and Tourism, The Ohio Historical Society 2001

12-53

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Ohio here and get a Ohio Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links