PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Ohio - Pike County Courthouse Historical Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Ohio

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click here for more Ohio Signs

 

Pike County Courthouse Historical Marker

 

Location of sign - 100 E. 2nd St. Waverly, Ohio

 

Photo taken -  September 2007

 

Pike County Courthouse Historical Marker, Ohio

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

Pike County Courthouse 

 

The Pike County Courthouse was at Piketon from 1815-1861 when county residents voted to move the county seat to Waverly. The Waverly Public Square was donated to the county by the Meschech Downing family in September, 1861. A committee was appointed to oversee the courthouse construction and the completed structure was deeded to the county in December 1866 for $5. An addition was added to the front in 1909. Inside, the common pleas courtroom houses busts of entrepreneur-businessman and first millionaire of Pike County, James Emmitt, and his wife, Louisa, and a mural of "Blind Justice" painted by late local lawyer, W. T. Reed.

 

Pike County Courthouse Commissioners, The Ohio Historical Society 1992 2-66

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Ohio here and get a Ohio Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links