PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Ohio - Second Capital of Ohio Historical Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Ohio

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click here for more Ohio Signs

 

Second Capital of Ohio Historical Marker

 

Location of sign - Located on the lawn of the Muskingum County Court House in Zanesville

 

Photo taken -  September 2007

 

Second Capital of Ohio Historical Marker, Ohio

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

Second Capital of Ohio 1804

 

In 1809 the citizens of Zanesville erected a building on this site which served as the capitol of Ohio from October 1, 1810, until 

May 1, 1812. The 9th and 10th sessions of the Ohio General Assembly met here before returning to Chillicothe in May 1812. The 

building was then used as the Muskingum County Courthouse until the present courthouse was built in 1874. The 1809 date stone 

from the old building was incorporated into the new building and may be seen over the front steps.

 

1991 Erected by The Pioneer and Historical Society of Muskingum County, Muskingum County Commissioners, The Ohio Historical 

Society 7-60

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Ohio here and get a Ohio Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links