PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Ohio - Second Capital of Ohio Historical Marker (reverse)

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Ohio

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click here for more Ohio Signs

 

Second Capital of Ohio Historical Marker (reverse)

 

Location of sign - Located on the lawn of the Muskingum County Court House in Zanesville

 

Photo taken -  September 2007

 

Second Capital of Ohio Historical Marker, Ohio

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

In 1809 both Zanesville and Putnam (then a separate town across the Muskingum River) vied to become the capital city of Ohio. 

Zanesville erected a new county courthouse and Putnam erected a new school buildingóboth towns hoping that the state legislature

would find their building suitable for the state house. When the legislature settled on Zanesville the Putnam building, known as the 

Stone Academy, was used as a school and as a meeting place. The Ohio Anti-Slavery Convention was held there in 1835.

 

Erected by The Pioneer and Historical Society of Muskingum County, Muskingum County Commissioners, The Ohio 

Historical Society

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Ohio here and get a Ohio Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright © 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links