PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Oklahoma - De Ford Building Historical Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Oklahoma

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click here for more Oklahoma Signs

 

De Ford Building Historical Marker

 

Location of sign - Historical District Downtown Guthrie, Oklahoma

 

Photo taken -  July 2007

 

De Ford Building Historical Marker, Oklahoma

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

Built in 1890 by Irwin S. DeFord, self-described "money-lender" and capitalist. The DeFord Building is perhaps the gem of Joseph 

Foucart's architecture in Downtown Guthrie.

 

The sidewall, facing "Government Acre" surrounding the Land Office, an area more distinguished than its front, Featuring contrasting

-colored arched windows with worked wooden fans above corbelled brick, with a small turret marking the south end. Detailed 

acanthus leaves decorate capitals of defining pillars.

DeFord lived upstairs in the building when completed, and the New York Clothiers (Cohen and Strauss) were on the first floor. By

1892, however, the U. S. Post Office temporarily replaced the clothing store. Offices for lawyers were located on the 2nd floor. 

The U. S. Courtroom was located in the basement until the Federal Building (Post Office and Courtroom) was completed in 1903.

 

Flora M. Wills purchased the building in 1904. She and her first husband Joseph Wills, operated their general store there. Later, the

store was used exclusively for furniture, and they added the Willis Building immediately south in 1914.

 

After Willis died, his widow operated the store alone until she married B. W. Kightlinger in 1923, and he joined her in the business. 

She died in 1955 and Mr. Kightliner continued operation of the store through 1981. Both the Deford and the Willis Buildings have 

been scrupulously maintained by the owners.

 

Mr. Kightlinger (whose picture is shown) deeded the DeFord Building as a gift to the Logan County Historical Society on 

December 7, 1981.

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Oklahoma here  and get an Oklahoma Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links