PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - Oklahoma - U.S. Government Land Office Historical Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - Oklahoma

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click here for more Oklahoma Signs

 

U.S. Government Land Office Historical Marker

 

Location of sign - Historical District Downtown Guthrie, Oklahoma

 

Photo taken -  July 2007

 

U.S. Government Land Office Historical Marker, Oklahoma

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

With the opening of the approximately two million acres of "Oklahoma Country" for homestead settlement at 12 noon Monday, 

April 22, 1889, thousands of settlers rushed to claim free land. Those making claims were required by law to register at one of two 

U. S. Government Offices, one located at Kingfisher and one at Guthrie.

 

The modest 18 x 30 feet false fronted frame building of the U. S. Land Office stood alone that day, capping the hill east of the 

railroad station. Almost immediately, it was surrounded by hundreds of eager settlers, attempting to register claims. By nightfall, it 

stood in a sea of tents that collectively made up Guthrie.

 

The Kansas City Gazette of April 23 reported; "The crowd around the land office is too great to be numbered. Those who did not 

get to file their claims last night slept where they were in line to be on hand this morning."

 

The Land Office continued it's "land office business" rush for weeks as the thousands of homesteaders filed claims and 

counterclaims for free land. Lines of claimants crowded "Hell's Half Acre" outside the Office.

 

Land Office Register John Dillie of Huntington, Ind. and Receiver Casius Barnes of Fayetteville, Ark., who became the 5th 

territorial governor in 1897 worked all day and late into the night on many occasions. In many cases more than one individual 

claimed a single piece of land, leading to bitter arguments and court disputes that lasted for years afterwards.

 

After a brick U. S. Post office was built in 1903 on "Hell's Half Acre" the old frame land office was removed.

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of Oklahoma here and get an Oklahoma Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links