PointofInterestRoadSigns.com - South Carolina - Winton County Court House Historical Marker

 

About this site
Submit a Photo
State Travel Offices
Pick a Homepage - South Carolina

 

 

     

 Welcome to Point of Interest Road Signs! A collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click here for more South Carolina Signs

 

Winton County Court House Historical Marker

 

Location of sign - 5 miles down South Carolina Hwy 3 south of Barnwell, South Carolina

 

Photo taken- April 2008

 

Winton County Court House

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wayne

 

Text of sign:

 

Winton County Court House Site

 

1.4 Miles


Originally Barnwell County was part of Granville County, later part of Orangeburg District.  Winton County was created by act

of the legislature Mar. 12, 1786.  Justices William Robertson, John Parkinson, Thomas Knight, Richard Treadway, Daniel Green, 

William Buford and James Fair were directed to erect a court house, gaol, pillory whipping post and stocks.  These were built of

pine logs.  Winton County became Barnwell District in 1798 and Barnwell County in 1868.

 

Erected by Gen. John Barnwell Chapter D.A.R.

 

Please help us out by submitting a photo!

 

You can find more information about the state of South Carolina here and get a South Carolina Homepage here

 



This site is not affiliated with any government agency.  Photos may not be copied without written permission of the photographer.

 

 

                


          Copyright 2008-2010 All Rights Reserved Walker Global Marketing Inc. Privacy Policy  Terms of Service  Links