to Point of Interest Road
collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click
here for more Texas Signs
Marion County Courthouse Historical
of sign - 102 W Austin Street, Jefferson Texas
taken- April 2008
courtesy of Jimmy Wayne
Texas Legislature created Marion County in 1860. Jefferson
established as early as 1841, was chosen as county seat.
Jefferson was a regional economic center for steamboat traffic on
Big Cyprus Bayou navigable due to a logjam on the
county government occupied several buildings during its first 50
years, including a courthouse built in 1873 and the Murphy
used today as a courthouse annex. In 1912, the county hired
architect Elmer G. Withers to design a courthouse similar
his design for the Roberts County Courthouse. This classical
revival building features doric columns, balustered parapet,
and raised basement.
Texas Historic Landmark 2002
Please help us
out by submitting
can find more information about the state of Texas here.