to Point of Interest Road
collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click
here for more Wisconsin Signs
of sign - Oconomowoc Park, 324 W. Wisconsin Avenue, Waukesha
County, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
taken - August 2005
courtesy of Jimmy Wayne
(coo-no-mo-wauk meant falling waters)
settler, Charles B. Sheldon, arrive April 21, 1837. The
Oconomowoc River flowed down through a tamarack swamp
a dam built across it in 1837 formed Fowler's Lake. Here the town
Oconomowoc was named in 1846; made a village
1865, a city in 1875. The Milwaukee--Watertown Plank Road reached
here in 1850. Its tollhouse still stands. The Milwaukee
Watertown railroad came in 1854. Pioneer John S. Rockwell led in
many enterprises such as the dam, mills, hotel, bank,
plank road, railroad; and in religious, cultural and civic affairs.
Pioneer David W. Small was Judge of the
Circuit Court 1870-1882. This was the home of national figures,
Increase A--apham, scientist; and James
Henshall, conservationist. After 1870, it widely acclaimed "The
Newport of the West" as a summer resort center. Great
the lakeshores. Fashionable hotels included The Townsend House,
Woodlands, and Draper Hall. Its colorful summer
era has long since vanished but not its lakeland charm. This and
it's strong impulses in trade confirm its position as the
of the famed Oconomowoc Lakes region.
County Historical Society. Erected in 1971. Revised 1998.
Please help us
out by submitting
can find more information about the state of Wisconsin here.