to Point of Interest Road
collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click
here for more Wyoming Signs
National Park - Fort Yellowstone
of sign - Upper Terrace Drive -Mammoth Hot Springs area at Yellowstone National
taken June 2008
and stagecoaches stirred up dust clouds on the streets of Mammoth Hot
Springs. From 1886, fourteen years after the
was established, the U.S. Army was responsible for protecting
Yellowstone. Mammoth became a boom town as the Army
here and most tourists entered the park via the North
Entrance. The buildings below were Officer's quarters, a
cavalrymen's barracks, stables, and a chapel.
1915 autos were allowed into the park. Horses were banned the
following year and the new National Park Service took over
protection and administration. Accessible year-round, Mammoth
continued as headquarters.
1910 four troops of cavalry (324 soldiers) were stationed at Fort
Yellowstone and at patrol cabins in the park interior.
from the Upper Terraces, the physical scene has changed little since
the Fort Yellowstone era. Today the well-preserved
buildings provide employee housing or have been reincarnated as
warehouses and park maintenance shops.
on the sign
to the text there is a historical photo of Fort Yellowstone and an inset
historical photo of the troops stationed there.
Please help us
out by submitting
can find more information about the state of Wyoming here and
get an Wyoming