to Point of Interest Road
collection of photos of road and trail signs. Click
here for more Wyoming Signs
National Park - Mission 66 - A Decade of Modernization
of sign - Canyon Visitor Center in Yellowstone National Park
taken June 2008
view of sign
view of sign
66 A Decade of Modernization
the late 1950's, Canyon Village was created near the Grand Canyon of the
Yellowstone River. It's design and construction
a then modern-day plan to host a growing number of travelers.
World War II, Americans longed for scenic vistas and the freedom of the open
road. In record numbers people took
the highways on carefree trips with family and friends. National parks
were popular destinations, and affordable
were in demand.
response, The National Park Service embarked on a ten year program
known as Mission 66 to upgrade public facilities.
and picnic areas were improved. Lodges, stores, and gas
stations were built. Roads were upgraded to
the increasing number of motor vehicles. Visitor centers, a
new concept, were created to provide easily accessible
orientation, and education. Started in parks accross the
country in 1956 Mission 66 was targeted for completion by
- the 50th anniversary of the National Park Service.
1958, park rangers opened the Canyon Visitor Center doors for the
first full season. This Mission 66 facility was at the heart
services in the Canyon area for nearly five decades.
1911 Craftsman style Canyon hotel (above) provided inspiration for
the 2006 Canyon Vistior Education Center.
on the sign
addition to the text this sign features two pictures of the 1958 visitor
center with other pictures of visitors from the time period
at exhibits. A photo of the original Canyon hotel is provided as well.
Please help us
out by submitting
can find more information about the state of Wyoming here and
get an Wyoming